Tuesday 20 May 2014

Food

One of the hardest things to get used to other than everyone speaking German, was the meal times and the food.

On weekdays for breakfast we eat bread with butter and sweet spreads (i.e. jams and honey), cheese and meat (salami, ham...). Lunch is the main meal of the day, and either we come home, go to the local bakery or eat from the school canteen. Then dinner is much the same as breakfast.
Lunch is usually a hot meal, more often something with pasta or rice and then a salad on the side. It was hard at first having a small dinner and a big lunch, though I think it works better because I don't eat as much in between meals. I also think that the German diet suits me quite well, and if I eat properly, then I don't get hungry on rides.

Linda, Jakob's sister also like to bake cakes. They are often very good and I probably eat a little too much for being a cyclist, but then again I have to embrace the German culture (as I have been told more than once before).

Linda's confirmation was last weekend, and I said I would bake a Pavlova. It turned out the best one that I have ever made, with no cracks, a very nice crunchy outer shell and soft inside, probably mostly because of the awesome KitchenAid that they have (beats the egg whites to perfection) :) Yummm....

THE Pavlova (ok ok, it does have a few cracks)

All that cake!! Mmmm....


1 comment:

  1. I see the pavlova was most popular! It looks like a beauty, Oliver. Mally would be very proud, indeed.

    ReplyDelete