Saturday 7 June 2014

School Surveying Camp

 At first I didn't want to go because the camp spread over two weeks and the Albstadt World Cup was that weekend (why do Germans have to plan school camps over the weekend?) but I didn't have much of a choice. Tuesday morning I was there waiting for the bus to come with the rest of my class.

The place we were staying in and surveying around was nice with an awesome marble table tennis table outside - lots of people brought bats with them so that was an added bonus.

At first the the surveying was fairly interesting, trying to work out how the surveying equipment worked in German and also starting the initial stages of the Surveying. However after a few days and doing the same thing over and over again the surveying started to get boring.

My groups awesome Theodolite 2 (it even has my initials!)

On Friday I woke up feeling pretty terrible with a really sore throat that meant I spent the day in bed. The next day I didn't feel much better and wanted to go home but Germans are also stubborn so I was still there on Sunday and feeling better, except I had a cough instead of a sore throat.

By Wednesday we had finished the surveying and that afternoon we each drew an accurate map of the areas that we had measured. It was fairly complicated so I don't think I will try to explain how we did it, but here is my map:

- The buildings in brown down the bottom are where we stayed


























By the end of the camp I was quite sick of surveying but very happy I went on the camp. My German has improved so much, I understand nearly everything and I can speak much more. And also I know everyone in the class much better and feel like I am part of it, not the Ausländer anymore.

There will always be another another World Cup that I can go to (hopefully racing not just spectating), but I think going on a camp with with a German school was a once in a lifetime experience.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Oliver - good to read your posts, thanks for taking the time. You lucky lad, so many fantastic opportunities. Olina comes home tomorrow & ... she would kind of like to stay ... That part about not feeling the auslander any more - well however long you stay, you will always be ... especially in Deutschland, but at least you had that feeling! Will you be back at school again before returning downunder? The hiking trip looks wow. We send greetings - it's nice & freezing here at home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I want to stay longer, but I also want to come home. It would be good if home was a little closer to Deutschland but then it want be as much of an experience.
    I have two or three weeks of School before I come back, and I am hoping that I will understand more by then :)
    Grüße aus Deutschland - es ist warm hier... Not looking forward to coming back to the cold

    ReplyDelete